We caught a curveball…

Embarrassingly, I managed to lock myself out of the site and didn’t want to deal with figuring out how to get back in until today. That’s a little complicated, thanks to the security plugin I use.

I’m still kicking, but it’s been a rocky year. Last fall, the neurosurgeon’s office had me trucking back and forth to Walla Walla for physical therapy in spite of me telling them how painful the car ride to Walla Walla was. My husband drove me, but I was usually in tears both ways. And would end up laying in bed for hours afterward, just hoping for the pain to ease. Finally, the physical therapist called it quits. He said he couldn’t see me in such pain.

At least I had the beginnings of a home exercise program. Unfortunately, by then the nerve pain flare-up was so bad I was unable to do my exercises for well over a month after we stopped the driving back and forth.

I resumed the exercises slowly and carefully, but winter was depressing. I was sending out some Covid care packages to hobby folk (mainly books) but a trip to the PO just before Christmas meant a short wait in line that resulted in yet another flare-up. I had to stop as clearly, my body wasn’t ready for anything additional beyond taking care of myself.

Come spring, I was doing a little better AND finally, my age group came up for Covid-19 vaccination eligibility. I’m proud to say that hubby and I had our appointments the very first day we were eligible! The only side effect was a slightly sore arm. It still wasn’t until Cinco de Mayo that we were considered fully vaccinated, but it was something!

I resumed going to the pool at the gym after over a year’s absence. Sadly, after only a few sessions, my back was aggravated again and I had to stop, regroup and recover. Hubby stopped home working and went back to his office. YAY! I have to admit, I was ever so ready by that point for just a little less togetherness!

And then life threw us that curve ball…

My husband had some stomach pain and bowel upset. We thought it was possibly something he ate. But it persisted several days and then he woke in quite a bit of discomfort. I sent him to the doctor. Who sent him to the hospital where he underwent a series of diagnostic tests.

That evening, my husband called me to tell me he was being prepped for emergency surgery! He had a perforated ulcer, which, at our age, is life-threatening. We never even knew he *had* an ulcer prior to this!

He made it through that surgery, but after several days, they found his stomach was still leaking, BAD NEWS! He had to be sent to a major city for surgery. The second surgery was successful in patching his stomach, but all told, he spent 17 days in the hospital and was very weak upon getting home.

Meanwhile, all the things my husband normally helps with, fell on me. NOT easy with my spine issues! Even now, after being home over a month, he is not supposed to be lifting more than 10 pounds.

I’ve struggled on with various flareups and setbacks. Bit by bit, we both get a little stronger. He has physical therapy, I continue with my hard-earned home PT exercises and have recently expanded to a short resistance band workout.

I’m behind on everything, from housework, paperwork, yardwork, and obviously, blogging is barely even on the radar! But I’m grateful my husband is alive and that I’ve made it through these challenging times.